The Big Island Press Club is pleased to announce the availability of scholarships for eligible students pursuing higher education in the field of journalism or a related field.
For a scholarship application form, click here.
The Big Island Press Club annually offers: $1,000 Bill Arballo Scholarship, $500 Yukino Fukubori Memorial Scholarship, $500 Jack Markey Memorial Scholarship, $1,500 Robert C. Miller Memorial Scholarship and the $1,000 Marcia Reynolds Scholarship. All are awarded are determined by the BIPC scholarship committee to qualified applicants pursuing a higher education in the field of journalism or a related field.
To qualify, applicants must:
Have residential ties to the Big Island;
- Express a clear interest in and aptitude for a career in journalism or a related field;
- Be pursuing a degree in journalism or related field and enrolled full time at an accredited college or university;
- Maintain a strong record of academic achievement.
- Applicants must have lived on the Big Island for at least a year immediately prior to the application date; they also qualify if their parents or guardians live on the Big Island and the applicant is a dependent, or if the applicant is attending college on the Big Island. (High school graduates not originally from the Big Island who have been accepted for admission to a Big Island college do not qualify until after they have completed one year of study here.)
All applications must include:
- Completed application form;
- A personal typewritten letter in which the applicant expresses career goals, extracurricular activities, and any other information that may be pertinent;
- For recent high school graduates, an official high school transcript, including SAT/ACT scores;
- A full transcript of college grades if now enrolled in college;
- Work samples, if available. These may include published articles, photographs, audio and/or videotapes, or other relevant materials. Please do not send term papers or other unpublished work submitted to fulfill course requirements.
- Deadline: The deadline to apply for the 2014 scholarships is April 15; applications must be postmarked by this date. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Send complete applications to:
c/o Big Island Press Club
P.O. Box 1920, Hilo, HI 96721
The Scholarship Committee will review applications and interview finalists. The award of all scholarships is made subject to proof of registration at an accredited college or university for the school year for which the award is made. Winners must be full-time students for the academic year to receive the full scholarship amount.
For more information or if you have any questions, please email scholarships@bigisla…