For a BIPC Scholarship application form, click here.
The Big Island Press Club announces the availability of scholarships for students pursuing higher education in journalism and related careers. Last year, BIPC awarded a total of $4,600 to six Hawaii Island students at its annual scholarship dinner.
Application deadline is March 31. To qualify applicants must: have Big Island residential ties, demonstrate an interest in journalism or related career, be enrolled as a full-time student and show a record of academic achievement.
BIPC annually offers: $1,500 Robert C. Miller Memorial Scholarship, $1,000 Bill Arballo Scholarship, $1,000 Marcia Reynolds Scholarship, $600 Yukino Fukubori Memorial Scholarship and the $500 Jack Markey Memorial Scholarship. This year the Hugh Clark scholarship, honoring the late Hawaii Island journalist, will also be awarded.
Past Big Island Press Club scholarship winners include Ilihia Gionson-County of Hawaii mayoral executive assistant, Peter Sur-Legislative Assistant District 4, Elisa Yadao-HMSA Senior Vice President, Consumer Experience, John Burnett, Hawaii Tribune Herald reporter, and Chris Loos, former newpaper and radio reporter and now Hawaii County police spokeswoman.
Awards are determined by the BIPC Scholarship Committee to qualified applicants.
To qualify, applicants must:
- Have residential ties to the Big Island;
- Express a clear interest in and aptitude for a career in journalism or a related field;
- Be pursuing a degree in journalism or a related field and enrolled full time at an accredited college or university;
- Maintain a strong record of academic achievement.
Application forms and instructions are available at the BIPC website: www.BigIslandPressCl… and will be available from high school counselors at Big Island public and private high schools. The deadline to apply for the 2017 scholarships is March 31; applications must be postmarked by this date.
All applications must include:
- Completed application form;
- A personal typewritten letter in which the applicant expresses career goals, extracurricular activities, and any other information that may be pertinent;
- For recent high school graduates, an official high school transcript, including SAT/ACT scores;
- A full transcript of college grades if now enrolled in college;
- Work samples, if available. These may include published articles, photographs, audio and/or videotapes, or other relevant materials. Please do not send term papers or other unpublished work submitted to fulfill course requirements.
- Deadline: The deadline to apply for the 2017 scholarships is March 31; applications must be postmarked by this date. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Send complete applications to:
c/o Big Island Press Club
P.O. Box 1920, Hilo, HI 96721
For more information or if you have any questions, please email scholarships@bigisla…